Wind Talker

Then we sat down and I chose eight tones for my chimes. I measured the chimes, dad cut them to the length that I wanted and then I filed the rough edges to make them smooth. I measured and spaced out the width of the chimes so my dad could drill holes for the eyelets. Then I sanded the wood to make it smooth so I could paint it and let it dry for a day.

 

The next day I put the eyelets in the wood, measured and cut the strings to the same length, and tied the chimes to the eyelets. My Dad used his saw to cut the handle of the dinger after I measured the length I wanted it to be. A hole had to be drilled and I used glue to put the ceramic ball on the dowel, and I also painted the handle of the dinger which I let dry for another day.

 

The last step was to put the materials together and double check their tones on the chimes. It took us two days and three and a half hours to make my instrument.

 

To make my instrument produce sound I had to strike the chimes with the dinger. I had to strike the chimes harder to make it have a loud dynamics. I softly tapped the chimes to make it have a soft dynamics. The shorter chimes gave me a higher pitch and the longer chimes gave me a lower pitch. The timbre of my instrument are smooth tones.